Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fear Faced, Not overcomed

So I got called to be a Relief Society teacher a couple weeks ago and have been dreading it ever since. I think next to Gospel Doctrine teacher it one of the worst callings for me. I have never taught a lesson, Dean and I were in primary in our old ward and I never taught once because I was scared of 5 year olds, this is far worse then that, I should have practiced.

I read the lesson a lot and finally this morning figured there was nothing else I could do. I had learned a lot from it and was glad to have the opportunity to really study it. But I was terrified to actually stand up there for like 40 minutes and try to talk about all that I had learned. I did survive and I think it was okay, there was never too much silence, and I don't think I said anything too crazy so that is good. However, I do not feel as relived as I was hoping because I just have to do it again next month.

5 comments:

thecaldwells said...

I bet you gave a great lesson! I am the RS secretary and had to teach a few months ago! I was terrified to say the least and I hope I don't have to do it for a long, long time. But you are right, you learn much more than you could ever teach. My neighbor gave me a great tip of getting the sisters involved by giving out assignment. Just a thought for the next time you teach. It really helped me. Good luck!

Ashlee said...

How awful those two are my most dreaded callings also. I have so far been lucky to not ever have one. I can't even imagine, it makes me queasy just to think about it. I'm sure you did great, good luck with the rest, hopefully it gets easier with time!

Jessica said...

You did great!I was totally inspired. Can't wait until next month.

Heather said...

You did fantastic. You kept the discussion going and brought it all together. I look forward to more.

Monica said...

I'm sure you did totally great!! You probably teach RS like you run 10k's.