Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Avery at 6 months old!

Now that Avery is almost 7 months old I want to remember what she was like at 6 months. At her appoitment she weighed in at 12.9lbs and was 24 inches, that put her very low in the rankings. Less then 5% for weight and 5% for height, her doctor thought we should go full force with the solid foods for the next month and see if we could have her gain a little weight. She started off great she liked cereal, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, bananas, and applesauce I thought wow this is so easy that was all in the first week. I am now singing a different song after a few frustrating weeks, she is possibly teething, she now will only eat fruit, bread, and cereal if she feels like it she is a bit particular. She stopped nursing and now only eats like 4 ounces of each bottle so my guess is she may be losing some weight now. Suggestions??
She is still a great baby inspite of these new little difficulties. She sits up really well by herself she does not love being on her stomach but just this week is figuring out how to get up on all fours. She loves to stand and can pull herself up when holding on to my fingers. She loves to watch Drew and the TV, she likes to play patty cake and peek a boo and be a part of whatever is going on.
Excited and happy to eat cereal
Not so happy to be eating

7 comments:

Alicia Steere said...

Feeding a little one can be SO frustrating!!! That sounds exactly like what Shelby did when she was that age. She ate just fine, it was perfect, then all of the sudden she refused to eat anything but fruit. It was SO stressful!!! She would even gag, but thankfully she breastfed really well. She was only in the 3% for her weight, but has stayed on that curve ever since. I think she is up to about 10% now.

With Keenan we didn't even give him a choice. We just gave him the cereal, if he spit it out we put it right back in. Sounds mean I know. If he didn't like a certain thing we just make him keep trying it and eating it. We didn't know what to do with Shelby, it was so stressful, most days I would just dread it because she was so picky and we didn't know what else to do. Finally when she was about 2 1/2 years old she came around to eating more of an option...it was the longest 2 1/2 years of my life! Every day, every meal it was a struggle. That is why we didn't even give Keenan a choice!!!

So my suggestion would be to just keep introducing her to it. Let her know that YOU are in charge! We let Shelby get away with it, if she didn't like it we tried something else and to this day we still have some struggles, but she is a lot better. It is easier to get them to do it when they are little.

Hang in there, sorry for the long story, but seriously, that is what Shelby use to do and she was really hard to work with! haha

Ashlee said...

No suggestions here I have a picky eater myself but I just wanted to say that last picture is priceless!

Danielle said...

I love Avery's eyes! She seems like a wise soul when she looks at me.

Having had a couple of picky ones myself, all I can say is hang in there.

My kids did like oatmeal A LOT more than rice cereal, which, in my opinion, tastes like wallpaper paste.

Janelle said...

I agree stick with it! Luke refused to ever eat baby food and to this day every meal is a battle usually ending with peanut butter sandwiches.

Brianna said...

Marlee to this day is the worst eater, and I always hated the feeling of trying to make them pack on the pounds.

I too would suggest oatmeal, because of it's better texture. I would also try mixing in rice cereal with her formula. Other than that I would just keep trying to introduce her to it all. Maybe try a bite of fruit and then trick her with a bite of veggies... hey, some is better than none!

Hang in there and I hope it's just a phase. ;)

Jenn said...

Thank you all, I will give them a try.

Amy Pulley said...

It sounds exactly like what I went through with Luke: he was tiny - needed to put on weight, and he just didn't care about eating/drinking. Obviously my doctor wanted me to get in as many calories as possible, so he made a few suggestions. First, he pointed out that while you want them to eat the solid baby foods, those foods don't have many calories, therefore aren't going to add any weight, so he recommended adding calories to them, i.e. putting a little olive oil into the veggies (of course, they have to be willing to eat the veggies :), or adding coconut milk to the cereal - adding butter, fat, calories any way you can think of. He also recommended adding more formula to the water: 1 1/2 scoops versus 1 scoop.

But, of course the biggest challenge is getting them to eat. I think some kids (like mine) just aren't all that into eating. I've learned not to stress too much about it. Just keep trying, and if she doesn't want it, try again another time - don't make meal time miserable for her (yet :). She won't let herself starve (as my doctor pointed out, which gave me relief).

Good luck!!! I know there are a million different points of view out there - just go with what you feel best with.