Thursday, August 16, 2007

The fruits of our labors

Our yard has been our summer project but like all "projects" it still has a long way to go. However, we did decide to do a garden. We had a spot in our yard that was just weeds thanks to the people who lived here first. So Dean and I spent an entire Saturday at the end of May getting it ready to plant clearing tons of weeds and hauling A LOT of top soil. We didn't really know what to do next so my Dad came up one Friday and helped us plant: Tomatoes, (which he started for us in his green house) peppers, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow zucchini, (which we thought was yellow squash... apparently its different) and beans. He told us to water every other day or when needed, like we know when that was. We have decided along with our other yard projects that we have somewhat of a brown thumb instead of green. But little by little things started popping up, even though sometimes we wouldn't water for days due to our forgetfulness, but then I made up for it one night when I watered for 12 hours oops! Two weeks ago I went out to do some weeding that was way over due and we had a few red cherry tomatoes and a few beans showing up. I was shocked, it had actually worked we grew something. The next Friday I decided to weed a little more to stay on top of it and I picked the tomatoes and beans shown above, I couldn't believe all those beans! Dean didn't believe me that they were from our little garden. Today I decided to take another look and picked probably double the beans and tomatoes and I got last week. Now we are not sure what to do with them all but we are quite proud of ourselves for producing anything! Hopefully we will get a least a little bit of everything else. I better go snap those beans....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, nice job on the garden. I got mine started, but it has been a busy summer and so blastedly hot that I have not done much in it since like June. I feel incredibly guilty, especially when I look at the fruits of your labors!!

Julie said...

Hey girl, welcome to the blogging world! Drew is getting so big, I can't believe it. He is adorable, Congrats on the garden, I am totally jealous. I might be coming to Utah sometime in the fall and definitely at Christmas, we should get together. Say Hi to Dean for me!

Andrea said...

Sure wish I could have had some of those beans :)